
So today in my English class I remembered how much it bothers me when people are disrespectful to others. Heaven knows we don't live in a perfect world, but if everyone could give a little more respect it would make a world of difference. In a dating violence pamphlet at work it says "GIVE RESPECT. EXPECT RESPECT." I love that!
Anyway the reason it was bugging me in English class and why it does in life sometimes (other than relationships and respect which I won't get into b/c of course you should respect friends, partners, family, etc. and it would take me forever to blog about that) is because I don't think people respect others opinions all the time. We get so blindsided by our own opinions that we discount others.
And I have found that some that profess to be "free thinkers" and believe that everyone should have their own opinion and be "free from society" are some of the worst of the bunch. They are so determined that they are right that they pretty much tell those with different opinions and thoughts that they are stupid because they think differently than them. Well aren't they the ones that are saying we should all have the right to our own opinions? And who says that you are right? It can go both ways, of course very conservative people can be the same way as far as not being willing to listen to the other side. Why can't we all just listen to one another, and even if we disagree, it doesn't mean we have to try and convince one another to agree with our opinions. I wish we could all just have conversations and be willing to listen to and respect one another despite differences of opinions. (I think I have said the word "opinions" a million times.....opinions. A million and one.)
I am not super conservative or super liberal so I can say this.....according to me. (no one reads this anyway so who cares?) It is funny to me that those professing to be the most "accepting" and want equal rights for everyone have many of their own ways of being close minded. (I'm not saying all of them) But they discount what those who are very conservative believe. I think both sides have some good strengths. But, when you can't look past your own beliefs and listen to others for just one second you also become blind. No one should believe that their opinions are the "RIGHT" way. They may be right for you but not for everyone. We should just all "Give respect and expect respect" Respect others opinions and be willing to learn from others. This doesn't mean changing what you believe but don't assume you are right no matter what.
This post is dedicated to a couple students in my English Class.
Love everyone! (But don't trust everyone) :)






2 comments:
Stevi - details please. :) I want to know what the heck happened.
And yes, I agree with you. Some people are dumb because they say everyone should have a voice and an opinion but what they really mean is that they just like their own.
Wow sis who made you mad hope I didn't lol. You are so right in everyway. I completly agree I was dealing with that in my class today actually. The class was saying (yet again) that I didn't vote for Obama because I must me racist but what do you do. Love ya!
Post a Comment