CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Taking chances

Anne Dillard said, "If we listened to our intellect, we'd never have a love affair. We'd never have a friendship. We'd never go into business, because we'd be too cynical. Well, that's nonsense. You've got to jump off cliffs all the time and build your wings on the way down."

Although it is scary to take risks and "jump" how can we live a full life without doing so? Believe me I need this advice more than anyone that is why I am saying it. Although I have taken many risks in my life there have been many times where I have not. And it only leaves me wondering what could have been.

Like Mark Twain said, "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."

Its so true, looking back on your life I bet you too can think of many things that you wished you would have done. It is not good to dwell on things of the past and what could have been, but instead to press forward to a better future; One where you will take more chances and do that which you think you cannot do. Taking risks is really what life is all about. Trusting your gut and going for it!!! Don't forget to think somethings through though, its good to take risks, not so good to always be impulsive (trust me on that one). But tell that person you like them or ask them out! Take that trip you've been dreaming about. Go for the job or scholarship you think you won't get. Change your major if you've realized you hate it, even if you are two years in (life's too short to be unhappy). Do whatever it is that you are scared of (that's plausible) and TAKE CHANCES!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it, good advice Speedy Stevi. Who needs oprah i will just come read your blog for now on. :)
"What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?"
NOw, i'm going to book my tickets for Europe ha :) love ya, cath

Avery said...

Wow Stevi, I am truely inspired! I really needed those words of advise. So wise and smart!