I was thinking today about self, and what impact that has on each of us. What I mean is that our sense of self and improving of self not only affects us personally but also affects those around us.
I think all of us at times find it much easier to look at others and nit pick all their flaws because looking at our own flaws is no picnic. But instead of focusing on that I want to focus on improving ourselves before we try to improve others. I truly believe that until we have a good sense of self we can not help others to our full capability.
As Aldous Huxley said, "There's only one corner of the universe you can be certain of improving, and that's your own self." That is one certainty of improvement. We can only be certain of improving ourselves. Others improving somehow because of us is not something that can be certain, nor should it be. Because the fruit of all change lays within each individual person. Each person holds the key for change within themselves, and though we can help one another along only the individual person has the will and capability to change themselves.
Our sense of self and self-respect is one of the most important things we can have. Because it affects our relationships with everyone we meet. If we do not truly love ourselves can we fully love someone else?
"The capacity for getting along with our neighbor depends to a large extent on the capacity for getting along with ourselves. The self-respecting individual will try to be as tolerant of his neighbor's shortcomings as he is of his own." -Eric Hoffer-
So I just want to end and say love yourself! Take care of yourself! Do things that you enjoy. Sometimes we want to take care of others so much that we in turn neglect ourselves. And when we do that those we are taking care of suffer also. Because they too feel the stress that comes from lack of self nurturing. :) So here are a couple of quotes to close off.
"We do not believe in ourselves until someone reveals that deep inside us is valuable, worth listening to, worthy of our trust, sacred to our touch. Once we believe in ourselves we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
-E.E. Cummings-
"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself."
-Eleanor Roosevelt-
Friday, November 7, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






1 comment:
Stevi! I just love you. I really needed to hear that right now. I think is very important for everyone to discover what they want in life. That's where true happiness begins. It's when you are doing good things with your life. Thanks for making vision boards with me last night! What great lives we lead. :)
Post a Comment