CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, June 9, 2008

Why books are always better than the movies

Anyone that knows me at all knows that I love movies. But, I do not love movies that are made based on my favorite books. It ruins the book for me a little. There are a few exceptions, i.e., Gone with the Wind, which is in fact my all time favorite book and the movie is good also just not as good as the book.

The reason the movies ruin it for me is that it takes away my personal interpretation and picture of what I think the scene, characters, and everything else looks like. Its nice to get another persons interpretation, I just never thinks it's as good as mine. :) Plus using your imagination is good for you.


The perfect example of a series of movies I do not like compared to the books are the Harry Potter movies. I am a huge fan of the books, read them several times, but the movies just don't do it for me (besides staring at Rupert
Grint, that is a good time.) The worst part is all that has to get left out of the movies. With all that is in the books it seems so sad to leave a good chunk of it out. Although I understand that if you tried and put most of the book in the movie, it would be 6 hours long which wouldn't fly with the general public. Also I do not like that Ron and Hermione get so little screen time. Even though the books are called "Harry Potter" his two best friends play major roles in them, but in the movies you mostly only see Harry Potter. I don't think the movies are horrible by any means, I just think you get much more out of it by reading them.
One of the best parts of reading the books is that you get to read what the main characters are thinking and get inside information that they don't normally put onscreen. It gives you a deeper insight that you don't get in movies.


I love the twilight series and the movie is coming out this fall. I do not think I can see it. I just don't think they can possibly recreate Edward and my picture of him and the whole book. I saw the previews and just kept thinking "no, no, no." It looks more like an action packed freaky movie, it is a love story people. Yes, there are vampires and parts are scary Edward is not as creepy as they are making him look, not to me anyways....and remember I am always right haha. (ok maybe not always.) I am thinking I will not see it and save myself the anger that comes from watching movies ruin the books I enjoy. Or I may see it just to see it, only time will tell.



I think its fun to watch the movies but read the books also because they are so much better! And I will try and be more open-minded concerning others views of the book and let myself enjoy the movies.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the twilight books if you click on Rochelle's blog and the on the right side it will say Twilight fun click on that she won a thing and got to go see Twilight being filmed. I just read the Host it was slow at first then I loved it.

Tracy said...

I know exactly what ya mean Stevi...I am excited about the movie, but also a little leery ~ I don't want it to ruin the story! Plus, don't you have it in your head how the characters should look? I don't want to see actors who don't look like I think they should! :)

Stevi said...

Ya the host was way good. I agree it was a little slow at first then i loved it! I'm glad you agree tracy! :)