We are living in a society where reality TV is all around us. No matter what channel we flip through or what water cooler are at there is reality TV commercials and discussions. I am not innocent in any of this because I too watch it and discuss it. But I am becoming more and more skeptical of the whole idea. I mean why is it that America loves reality TV. What happened to the good old days where sitcoms ruled the tube? Now we have shows like supernanny, and wife swap and don't even get me started on all the MTV reality stuff, didn't they used to play music?? I've forgotten...
What is this world coming to??? I started to ponder where the reality TV craze started. So I googled it of course and there was no precise answer. So I say that the Real World was the first popular reality show (but don't quote me on that I just made it up.) But then about 8 years ago it seems reality TV skyrocketed. Then everyone tuned it to see people eat live bugs and jump off bridges on fear factor and people trying to survive in the wilderness while voting each other off of the island. Now with shows like that not doing as well people want to watch love affairs and wife swapping (sorry can't get over that its just creepy.)
I feel like reality TV that used to be good is now in the dumps. For example, one of my all time favorite shows American Idol is now not as it used to be. Don't get me wrong there is still amazing talent but how many times can we watch the same show over and over (and over.) There is new people every year (I think) but its the same charade each time. And now American has become more of a beauty contest than a singing competition. I listen to people talk about the show and so many of them comment on the looks of the contestants saying things like "She ugly" "She's fat". Ok people I thought American Idol was about singing and not about modeling like Americans next top model (love that show.) Enough about that. All I really want to say is that maybe we should start watching better shows on TV and not stupid reality TV, or even better, watch less TV and explore reality for ourselves.
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)






3 comments:
mHey this is Jenny Nielson your aunt. I found your blog off of Tracy's. If it is ok I am going to add you site to my blog list.
Stevi,
I totally agree-and I work in television.
There are way too many tv monitors in our newsroom. 21 in fact in my line of sight -- not including the monitor for the camera that's pointed at my desk (I sit by the newsroom camera)
Yes it's sad to admit that American Idol and such is more about looks than talent--but that's why there's such a thing as radio. Radio people can rarely transfer to television, it's just a matter of looks.
--Sad to admit. I could distinguish the journalism department with this rule--except that people in PR were almost better looking than the broadcast people.
--WELL I guess I should stop blogging on your blog and start exploring the reality of myself ;)
p.s. you have to admit that the bachelor was a good idea. And America's Next Top Model --we all enjoy those ;)
Post a Comment